Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Four-month-old Forgiveness

Dark brown eyes sparkle as they intently look into mine. Peals of laughter dance on the air, a smile like none other brightening the room. Every inch of the little body is quivering with excitement, coos and razzing all desperate attempts responding to the sound of my voice. It's a conversation that no one understands, no clear communication is happening save the pure enjoyment of mother and son soaking up a moment that will all too soon end. Standing in my lap, my hands wrapped around his waist, his fists crammed to his lips as drool slithers its way down his chin, the moment suddenly shatters as mommy makes the mistake of sitting him down. What a split second before had been sheer joy was now replaced with a frowning face, a pouting lip, eyes scrunched shut and a sob that was quickly becoming a fit of tears. I lift my little imp back to his feet, soothing him with a kiss on the cheek and an apology on my lips; his eyes open up and with a squeal of delight his smile returns. Mommy was just forgiven.

I have to take a moment to stop and ask myself: What would this world be like, if we could so easily let go when someone needs forgiving? Can I so easily put a smile back on my face, genuine and authentic, no faleshoods or niceties to cover my heart? Can I love so freely that the love so consumes me that there is no room for holding a grudge? Can I forgive?

Christ did. He carried every bit of the burden of my sin, every wrong I've committed from the day I was born to the day that I die. His arms open wide, his heart so full of love for me; He not only forgave me but let go and the stains upon me are forgotten. Much like the smile that lit up my precious 4 month-old's face; so my Savior is smiling upon me.

My prayer tonight as I fall into bed; that I may so easily let go, and with love, smile upon those around me who need forgiving.

Ephesians 1:7-8 "In Him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding."

1 comment:

  1. You made me think of the verse, "Except we become as little children, we cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

    How true it is...thanks for the reminder that we all need forgiveness and we all must extend forgiveness.

    Love you -

    ReplyDelete